Keeping your dog healthy doesn’t have to be difficult. As long as you’re armed with the right information about what to feed your dog and what to avoid, staying on top of things is simple. The tricky part comes when you need to find the best food for your dog and their specific needs.
Although there are many excellent pet food brands out there, not all of them meet the standards of being “healthy.” Most commercial dog foods will have a mixture of good and bad ingredients. What makes the difference between a healthy diet and an unhealthy one is knowing exactly what to look for in a dog food.
What Is The Healthiest Dog Food?
There is no “best” dog food; the best food is the one that’s right for your dog. When shopping for a new diet, it’s important to choose a food that supports your pup’s specific needs. Every dog is different, so the best food for one dog might not be the best for yours. Even though the FDA doesn’t regulate pet food, there are plenty of label terms that indicate a food is high quality. Look for ingredients that are minimally processed, aren’t full of preservatives, and pack as much nutritional value as possible. Feeding your dog a quality diet will help them stay healthy, live longer, and be happier.
How To Know Which Foods Are Best For Your Dog
There are plenty of dog food labels that seem pretty healthy on paper, but there’s a lot more to it than that. There are plenty of healthier brands that don’t advertise their products as such. The best way to determine which brands are healthier than others is to read the ingredients label. There are some ingredients that are better than others, but others are best avoided altogether. If you want to get the healthiest dog food for your pup, you’ll have to decipher between the good and the bad.
First off, you should check for the first ingredient listed. More often than not, the first item on the list will be the most prevalent in the product. The first ingredient should be a protein source. Protein is essential for building muscle and tissue, and it’s far more nutritious than grains. It’s not a bad idea to avoid grains if possible, especially for the pooches with allergies. You should also check for additives and preservatives. Look for words you don’t recognize, and steer clear of anything that’s not clearly marked as safe for dogs.
5 Toxic Ingredients To Avoid In Dog Food
– Corn – One of the most common ingredients in dog food, corn is also one of the most toxic ingredients out there. It’s commonly genetically modified, which can be dangerous to dogs. Corn is also very low in nutritional value, so it’s not ideal for dogs.
– Soy – Soy is a common ingredient in pet food, but it’s also one of the most toxic. A lot of pet owners don’t know that soy isn’t a nutritionally complete protein source, so it’s not suitable for dogs. Soy can also be contaminated with GMOs, which can be dangerous.
– Artificial Preservatives – Some preservatives have been proven to cause cancer in dogs. This includes ethoxyquin, BHT, BHA, and artificial flavors. These are often added to food to extend the shelf life, but they might not be safe to eat.
– Artificial Colors – Many dog foods contain artificial colors that can be toxic to dogs. This includes red 40, blue 2, blue 1, yellow 5 and 6, and yellow 6. These are linked to cancer in dogs, and they’re completely unnecessary.
6 Important Nutrients For Healthy Dogs
– Protein – As we’ve already discussed, protein is essential for dogs, and it’s the most important nutrient to look for on the label.
– Carbohydrates – While not as important as protein, carbohydrates are still important for dogs. Dogs can have a lower protein content than humans, but they still need some carbs in their diet.
– Fat – Dogs require a certain amount of fat in their diet, and it’s best if it comes from real, whole foods. Fat is necessary for canine nutrients, including a healthy coat, skin, and digestion.
– Vitamins And Minerals – Your dog’s food should be rich in vitamins and minerals, including calcium and iron. You should look for foods that are fortified with these vitamins and minerals.
– Fiber – Dogs can benefit from fiber in their diet, but you don’t want too much. Ideally, you should feed your dog food that contains between two and five percent fiber.
3 Natural Ingredients That Are Good For Dogs
– Eggs – While some people don’t allow their dogs to eat eggs, it’s actually a very healthy source of protein. It’s an excellent source of amino acids, and it can be very beneficial for dogs.
– Salmon – Salmon is a very healthy option for dogs. It’s rich in vitamins and minerals that dogs need, and it’s completely safe for them to eat. Salmon is also very calorie-dense, which makes it an excellent choice for overweight dogs.
– Peas – Peas are another excellent source of protein for dogs. They’re rich in vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins and vitamin C. They’re a great choice for dogs, and they’re very safe.
2 Supplemented Ingredients That Are Good For Dogs
– Flaxseed – Flaxseed is a healthy source of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. It’s a very beneficial food for dogs, and it’s safe for them to eat.
– Salmon Oil – Salmon oil is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids for dogs. It’s very beneficial for one’s coat, skin, and immune system. It’s also a rich source of vitamins and minerals.